Skip to main content

Work as a 1099 for a contracting company

If you're not inspired to start up your own company - even if you're the only employee -- another option is to work as a contractor for a placement company.

One example is with a company called Learning Strategy Design. They've placed ID contractors in companies like Chevron, Ally, Deloitte, and Honeywell. In other words, they need ID's with expertise to work for top level companies.

This begs the question, if you're a grad student or recent graduate of instructional design, how do you get the experience to land a job with this type of company? Chances are you'll need experience at a more junior level so that you have a portfolio to share to demonstrate your proficiency.


https://learningstrategyanddesign.com/hire-an-instructional-designer/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How much do apps matter in Instructional Design?

https://www.aura.com/learn/social-media-privacy-risks This week in my graduate course we discussed social media tools - Web 2.0 - that are useful in learning environments. My disclosure is that I typically don't use social media for personal use, and this makes it a bigger jump to think about using it for learning purposes. The irony is that I enrolled in this elective class because I am intrigued about using social media for learning environments.  The points I vacillate on are data security and time commitment. With data security I would need to ensure that learners' data, user profiles, etc. are protected. This isn't the same thing if it's higher education and the university is using an LMS. FERPA and a contract protect student data and how it's used. With free social media apps there's more risk to a learner's content. I'm still exploring these tools to determine if there are settings to protects our learner's identities and content. One thing th...

Easygenerator content authoring app

Here's another newer app that I just discovered. Maybe you already know about this one? Easygenerator sounds like its name. Like many apps it can convert PowerPoint slide decks to e-learning. https://www.easygenerator.com/en/features/powerpoint-import/ The thing with these content authoring apps is always the price. If you work on a team it's more likely your manager would approve of subscribing to some sort of app. It's not cheap, though. Take a look at the pricing below. Also, if you work independently either for a small business or as a contractor, the $1000 annual fee needs to be factored into the ROI of your projects. Do you think these prices are reasonable or a bit out of reach?

Blogs on Vacation

 A variation on theme with the last post -- have you ever put your blog on vacation for several weeks cor months? Are followers okay with this? I may need to cut back on a few entries as I transition from one class to another. Any suggestions?